Tuesday, April 6, 2010

GREEN TIP # 1- Reuse Your Baggies

                                                  

     This might be an eye-openning, earth shattering revelation for you, or it might be something you already do, but: reuse your Ziploc and sandwich baggies. Just because the plastic bag has served its purpose does not mean that you should then chuck it in the trash. Yes, you might have finished off that bag of chips that you were keeping fresh by storing it in a Ziploc bag; and yes, you might have eaten those cookies you brought to work with you or used the remainder of that onion in last night's stir-fry, but that does not mean that the plastic bag has somehow become broken or marred by its one-time use. All you have to do is was the bag in your sink and then flip it inside-out to try on your dish rack or kitchen counter. It may look weird, but it saves you money and helps the environment out a lot.
     In fact, I've been using the same box of large Ziploc bags for three months now and I just counted how many bags I have left. Of the 18 original bags still in the box, I have nine. Three bags are currently in use preserving the freshness of my food, and three have already been used, cleaned, and are waiting for use, along with the remaining still-in-the-box Ziploc bags. 15 out of 18 bags left in three months' use. Pretty good, I'd say. And what happened to the missing three? To be honest, I have no idea. They might have been damaged or, for all I know, are being used to hold other non-edible items somewhere else in my house.


So do your part: reuse your baggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment